Music Ministries


The music program is alive and well at Christ's Reformed Church. We offer two childrens choirs, an adult choir and handbell choir. The church is fortunate to have a Moller Organ built in Hagerstown as well as a harpsichord.

Music Ministries

Choirs

Chancel Choir

The Chancel Choir is Christ Reformed Church’s adult choir. All adults of any musical background are welcome. We sing new anthems each week and regular cantatas for Christmas and Easter. Rehearsals are on Wednesday evenings 7:00-8:15 and Sunday mornings from 9:00-9:20.

 

Men and Boys Choir

The Men and Boys Choir prepares pieces specifically suited to male voices and is open to youth and men. Rehearsals are on Sundays from 8:30-9:00 am.

 

Bell Choir

The Bell Choir is comprised of youth and adults. They play at least once a month in the worship service and participate in the Joyful Noise Concert Series at least once a year. Rehearsals are on Sundays from 11:45 am-12:30 pm.

 

Junior Bell Choir

The Junior Bell Choir is comprised of children ages 4-10. They are learning musics using a delightful set of colorful bells and play in the worship service at regular intervals. Rehearsals are on Sundays from 10:35-11:00 am.

 

Joyful Noise Concert Series

Three times a year, musicians from the church as well as invited community performers hold a concert on a Sunday afternoon. Concerts can feature music of a particular style, composer or country and be instrumental, vocal or both. The concert is free. A free will offering is collected to support the music program.

 

Instruments

The Sanctuary Organ

Pipe organs have always been a cherished part of the worship at Christ’s Reformed Church. Early church records noted the use of an organ as early as 1886. In 1901, Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Foltz established a Pipe Organ Fund for their new church. Their innovative idea would be called a “sock hop” today, but was strictly a fund raiser on February 1, 1901. A card was sent to each member with a sock attached. It was suggested that the sock be filled with pennies. Then the socks filled with the pennies were to be brought to the Foltz home and given to the Pipe Organ Fund of Christ’s Reformed Church. There is no record of the amount raised. It is shown, however, that when our church moved to its current location in 1894, a new pipe organ was installed. It was purchased from a Mr. Watson on Long Island, New York for $4,000, and the addition of manual stops brought the installed price to $5,000. It was dedicated in May 1895. It is recorded that “an opening recital will be given on Tuesday evening, May 7, 1895 by Prof. William Carl, Director of the Gurlment School of usic in New York.” Much of Christ’s Church love of good music dates back to Rev. Snyder, his extraordinary vision and his insistence both on quality music and a quality organ. This organ served the church well until 1938 when Christ’s Reformed Church underwent a major renovating expansion and remodeling. It was decided that the old organ was not only out-of-date, but much too small for the enlarged church. The building Committee, headed by R. Paul Smith, negotiated with M.P. Moller, Inc. of Hagerstown to design and build a new three manual organ. It was given in memory of Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Foltz by the family, and was considered a model of excellence. The Foltz family’s involvement in Christ’s Church’s organ stretched from the sock Fund Raiser of 1901 to this wonderful instrument in 1938. Over the years, additions have been made such as the Carrillon Bells, which were given in memory of Mr. and Mrs. R. Paul Smith by their children in 1968.

 

The Organ Renovation

In August of 1998, the congregation unanimously approved plans for an organ renovation. The contract was granted to Hagerstown Organ Company and the work was completed on September 12, 1999, at the cost of about $40,000. The Chancel Choir donated the funds to add an 8 bell Zimbalstern. This renovation has brought our organ into the 21st century by rebuilding the organ console and adding solid state components. A service of re-dedication was held on January 23, 2000. The dedicating organ concert held at that time was given by Harry Sterling, a well-known recitalist, who had performed both in the United States and abroad.

 

The Carrillon Bells

These were built and installed by Schulmerich Carillon Company of Sellersville, PA. The bells were designed and built exclusively for Christ’s Church, 37 small brown metal bells, struck by metal hammers so that the sound was greatly amplified. They are played from the organ console, as well as from music player rolls. There was a regular daily schedule of concerts, plus the special occasion recitals.

 

The Sanctuary Hand Bells

Through the generosity of Mrs. Paul Hissong, a set of 2 octave Schulmerich hand bells was given in late 1963, in memory of Charles W. Sodergren. They were dedicated during a Choir Festival in early 1964. Through the continued generosity of Mrs. Hissong, the third octave bells were given in 1977 and dedicated to the youth of Christ’s Church.

 

The Harpsicord

A hand made harpsichord was purchased in 1994 at the cost of $4,000. Contributions toward the purchase of this instrument were made in honor of Mrs. Margaret Hockman. It was placed in the west transept of the sanctuary where it remains to this day. It is used for special occasions, accompaniments with the organ, as well as for solo numbers.

 

The Baby Grand Piano

The Hardman baby grand piano was retooled and moved from the Church School Auditorium into the east transept of the Sanctuary. It is used regularly, especially for accompaniment of the Choirs, and for special celebrations in combination with the organ. It was the gift of the Mary and Martha Church School Class.

 

Information about CRC's musical instruments from With Courage and Vision by Lois S. Harrison.

 

Other Ministries Links:

Aspiring to Serve

Board of Christian Education Ministries

Board of Missions
Board of Lay Life and Work